SEO, conversion, and content highlights!
Data-Driven Results Speak for Themselves
Successfully Funded Kickstarter Campaign
My pop-up restaurant client was opening a brick and mortar restaurant and needed funds for the startup costs.
I worked closely with Chef Ball to develop a Kickstarter campaign from the ground up.
In a 30-day multi-prong campaign that included PR, email, and social media (organic and paid), we exceeded our Kickstarter campaign goal and successfully raised over $34K for the restaurant!
About three weeks into our campaign, Kickstarter featured our project on the homepage! We also achieved the coveted "Project We Love" badge, and of course, most importantly exceeded our 30K all-or-nothing fundraising goal!
SEO Ranking & Traffic Win
A blog post that had historically driven traffic was on a downward trend, losing rankings and traffic.
I evaluated the post and my team did some on-page optimizations including rewriting content for improved relevancy and using contextually related keywords.
I also discovered that the post had some spammy backlinks pointed to it that incorporated some of our highest volume search terms. Despite current opinion that disavows aren't necessary in modern SEO, based on trends we were seeing, my team and I decided it was best to add these suspicious backlinks to our disavow file.
The post started seeing a higher number of total keywords a few days after these actions were taken.
That month, our biggest target keyword "act scores" popped up in search from rank 60 to rank 16.
Additional keywords improved ranking as well, including "highest act score" which moved from position 42 to 10, and "act score range", which moved from position 11 to 8.
Rankings are exciting, but the real proof that things had started to turn around was that our page clicks jumped from less than 45 clicks to over 200 clicks WoW an increase of +344%.
You can also see that impressions increased from 27K to 45K WoW and CTR and improved from .2% to .5%.
These were very exciting immediate results! This is just one example of this type of effort.
The below chart shows how my SEO strategy turned traffic around for an entire product subfolder. The blue was current year traffic and the red was previous year traffic.
Optimizations began publishing in Q2. And by June, our traffic increased from ~20K visitors to ~38K visitors. (Note that September was a partial reporting month.)
Video ranking and views win!
The videos our team had been producing weren't getting enough views to justify the cost of production.
I determined that, based on conversion trends, ROI for a video required ~15,000 views within the first 6 months.
Deploying a competitor analysis, I found an opportunity for content that we had not yet produced but that showed promising traffic potential.
The video shows up on page one of Google Search for several related keywords.
It also shows up as the first result in YouTube search for our target keyword.
Rankings are great, but the real proof of success is in views, which exceeded the target 15K views and got great engagement from viewers. We were able to replicate this success across other videos as well!
I had placed Calls to Action (CTAs) on the company's blog, but they only achieved a 0.2% clickthrough rate (CTR) - not enough to really make any kind of impact to our bottom line.
I began to iterate and experiment by changing the CTA design and copy to better reflect the language that our customers were using. The CTR % started to creep up to around 6%.
But I knew I could do even better....
It took time and plenty of experimentation, but as you can see the conversion rate steadily increased with each test. By the end of the experimentation, I achieved a 20% CTR! I think that's like a 99900% increase (!!!)
Even better, all these clicks resulted in paying customers (ultimately contributing about 25% of total revenue) and I discovered that blog visitors were 4X more likely to convert than visitors who had not visited the blog first.
I have since employed a similar approach to improve conversion across multiple blogs and products in my career.
I wanted to expand the reach of our content marketing efforts and find a new and effective way to repurpose content and to find and engage more people. The company already had a blog and YouTube channel.
Podcasting! As a fast-growing platform with a number of distribution channels, podcasting was an exciting way to reach new audiences. My models showed that podcasting could help us expand our reach and provide additional value to our current users. I tested this assumption by polling our existing user base to see what percentage of them were podcast listeners and whether a podcast would be interesting to them.
Armed with compelling evidence that podcasting would be a valuable new channel, I built a podcasting team and produced a 10-episode season. The results were so strong that we ended up doing a season two and creating an additional 16 episodes. These 26 podcast episodes continued to drive ~8K listeners per month years after we stopped publishing new episodes in 2019.